Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A bit of Kiwi culture

It's been a fairly eventful last couple of days. On Friday we went to Le Cafe for a concert by Lindon Puffin. At the very last minute it was decided that I should play a few songs to open for him, which I wasn't quite prepared for. It went ok, could have been better. There wasn't much of a crowd at that time, and my experience playing an electric guitar is very minimal. Anyway, the concert was great. He played harmonica, guitar, and two drums on foot pedals at the same time, pretty impressive. I got a cd of his and also his dvd which he made during a previous tour of New Zealand.

Saturday evening we went to a local bar to watch the All Blacks(New Zealand's rugby team) play against South Africa. While not exciting in the beginning, the game picked up as the All Blacks took control in the second half. The bar had a very odd feel to me, because it was not smoky(all bars here are smoke free) and well lit, two things I'm totally unaccustomed to in a bar.

On Sunday Ashley, Marj and I all went back to Le Cafe. They lunched while I played music on the patio, then inside after it started raining. There seemed to be a really good reception outside, people were singing along and lingering for another cup of coffee. It was a little louder inside, but still not bad. I played for two full hours, not quite every song I know, but not far from it.


Our tax numbers finally arrived on Saturday, so after spending monday in town, on tuesday we started working at a Montana, which is the biggest wine producer in the country, so they have vineyards all over, including a couple close by. We definitely would have liked a better day to start, as a steady rain fell all morning, causing us to stop by 11am, but it was enough time for us to learn the basic of our jobs, wrapping for Ashley, and pruning for myself.

We should be working full time for at least a couple of weeks, but that may not happen as rain is in the forecast till the weekend. I don't think we've had a week yet without any rain. Oh well, wouldn't want to work too hard.

No comments: